odorekijin: (MHYK)
[personal profile] odorekijin

“Acquired Taste”


chapter one

[South Country]


Rutile: Hm~! Delicious!


Bradley: 'Sup, Southie bud. Whatcha got here?


Rutile: An ice cream I bought at this stall! They have all sorts of syrups in store, and no limit on how much you can have.


Do you want to try mine, Bradley?


Bradley: Pass, ice cream is for kiddos, an' I sure ain't one.


Rutile: Hehe… You might want to reconsider that!


Bradley: I dun' like that stupid smile you got one bit. Whatcha plannin'?


Rutile: Nothing, I just think you'll really, really like this one. Come on, give it a try!


Bradley: Ugh, yer really forcin' my hand there…


(Slurp, slurp…)


…Wait, there's booze in this; an' it packs a mean punch too.


Rutile: Spot on! Not so much for children now, is it?


The shop had a wide variety of alcohol-infused syrups; I couldn't pick just one, so I poured them all in!


Bradley: Pffft… Well, that sure explains why this stuff's so damn strong. I dun' mind it, but…


It's overpowering. Y'can hardly taste the ice cream, let alone what kinda syrup ya threw in 'here.


Come with me, I'll show you how a real pro does it.

↑ back to top ↑

chapter two

[South Country]

Clerk: Welcome, welcome, gentlemen!


Bradley: You watch closely now, 'kay?


I'll start with dark chocolate ice cream fo' my base, an' drizzle some brandy over it. Gimme this… and that over 'ere.


Then, throw in a couple drops o' rum for some flavour...


Rutile: You're adding all sorts of liquor like I did, yet it already looks very different from mine…


Bradley: Duh, that's called expertise. Now, a splash o' cherry liqueur to finish it off…


Perfect. Here, tell me whatcha think of it.


Rutile: Will do! Wow, that looks as good as you made it sound…!


(Slurp, slurp…)


Hmm~! It's quite rich, but so delicious~! It's like I'm eating a cocktail, instead of drinking it.


Bradley: See? Ya can't just throw random shit in, an' call that a dessert.


You gotta pick an ice cream that suits yer craving an' what ya like, then only add syrups that go with it, not drown it. That's what gives some plain ice cream that fancy-schmancy "grown-up" kick.


Yer hoggin' the goods, though. Lemme have some o' that.


Rutile: Of course, here you go!


Bradley: (Slurp, slurp…) Yup, that's pretty good. Not too sweet, just the way I like it.


Rutile: …Um, Bradley, I'd like to have another go at making an ice cream with that "grown-up" twist.


Would you mind giving me advice on the right syrups and ice cream combinations? I'll pay for your next round of drinks in exchange, my treat!


Bradley: …Hmph, ain’t got no reason to pass up a good deal.


You've already got a taste for the finer things we grown folks like; let's see if you can whip up something worthwhile.

episode story


“Mishmash Wonders”


[Wizards’ Manor—Bradley's Bedroom]


Bradley: …That's the stuff.


Akira: What are you having tonight?


Bradley: Jus' a cocktail I threw together with whatever I had sittin' on my shelves. Figured I might as well try somethin' different today.


Want a sip? I'll remove the booze fo' ya.


Akira: Aw, thank you! Don't mind if I do…


(Gulp, gulp…)


It's crisp, and deliciously refreshing! Is this black tea, and… lemon, maybe?


Bradley: That's what you picked up?


Akira: I think so! It has a nice smell to it. I didn't expect you to have loose tea leaves in your room to begin with…


Bradley: Well, that's 'cause there ain't no tea in this.


Akira: Really?!


Bradley: Booze an' all sortsa syrups—that's all there is to it. That mishmash jus' happens to taste like black tea.


Akira: Wow… It's such a light drink, I'd never have guessed.


Which means, with this… Even a non-drinker like me could maybe try alcohol at some point…


Bradley: Best not, pal. This is some strong stuff still.


Then again, this fine drink here is more our speed than havin' some regular ol' tea, ain't it?


So, sit back. Join me fo' a drink tonight.

voice line



Bradley: “Hey, Sage, ain't y'all got a paradise hung way up in the sky back in your world? Y'know, that "Beer Garden" one. I wanna set up sum'n like that here: hang out on the Manor's rooftop, enjoyin' a cold one while the sun's beatin' down, with just a nice little breeze to keep ya cool… I got some snacks, too. Wanna join me?”


 𝙉𝙊𝙏𝙀

 ビアガーデン (bia gaaden), from the German “Biergarten” and most commonly used as “Beer Garden” in English, is a large open-air space with long benches and tables to welcome plenty of customers. As the name suggests, beer (along with other snacks) are served. Japanese people often associate such gathering to summer nostalgia, and meeting up with friends on large rooftops to enjoy the last rays of sunshine after a long, humid summer day.
You can find one of the few mentions of a "beer garden" in the wizards' world at the following link.

↑ back to top ↑